Well, I’ve never really hidden my love of White Wolf’s World of Darkness games, and although Mage is not my favourite, it was one of my earliest points of contact with the series when I purchased both Vampire: The Masquerade and Mage: The Ascension (both revised editions) from Megazone in Falkirk in the late 90s.
Recently I found myself using resources from Mage in my Vampire campaigns as a way to unsettle players who were a little over-familiar with the Vampire backstory and were not surprised by much I was throwing at them. Giving them unfamiliar material from Mage really helped to make them a little more insecure and cautious in their actions.
The latest Bundle of Holding features a nice little offering of second edition Mage materials. I have most of these in (mostly) digital format already, so I won’t be partaking, but the deal is fantastic for such a great, classic game of modern magic. It’s World of Darkness at its best, being after all, one of the original “big 3” World of Darkness games.
The first level of the deal will cost you $13.95 and includes everything a player needs to get started:
- Mage: The Ascension 2nd Edition (retail price $17): The 314-page 1995 rulebook for creating Awakened mortals who shape reality.
- The Book of Shadows: The Mage Players Guide (retail $11): The indispensable character supplement with Traits, backgrounds, equipment, and invaluable counsel.
- The Book of Crafts (retail $10): Eight Disparate magickal societies outside the familiar factions of the Ascension War.
- The Technomancer’s Toybox (retail $9): A marvelous collection of gadgets for Virtual Adepts, Sons of Ether, Technocrats, and others.
For others, like me, who prefer the role of GM, or storyteller in World of Darkness parlance, you can beat the threshold price (currently just under $26) to get the following fantastic resources:
- Guide to the Technocracy (retail $16): One of the finest Mage supplements, this comprehensive guide explains the Technocratic Union and lets you play as agents.
- The Book of Mirrors: Mage Storytellers Handbook (retail $11): A candid compendium of advice for running MageChronicles.
- Beyond the Barriers: The Book of Worlds (retail $13): A massive guide to the heavens, hells, Paradox realms, and mysterious Zones of the Umbra.
- The Book of Chantries (retail $11): Rules for creating your own magickal place of power, plus full descriptions of ten strongholds.
- The Book of Madness (retail $9): The 1995 first edition of the sourcebook about Nephandi, Marauders, Umbrood, and other dark mysticks.
- NEW! Hidden Lore (retail $9): An overflow book, originally included with the Mage Storyteller’s Screen, of goodies cut from the 2nd Edition rulebook.